Summer is almost here and children will be out of school. Getting your child involved in summer activities can be stimulating and promote good exercise. Healthy snacks are another way to be assured that your child will be eating healthy. It is also important to have your child drink plenty of water, especially during the summer months when they may be more active.
Here are some healthy snack ideas:
- Parfait: Layer vanilla yogurt and Mandarin oranges or blueberries in a tall glass. Top with a sprinkle of granola.
- Inside-Out Sandwich: Spread mustard on a slice of deli turkey. Wrap around a sesame bread-stick.
- Rocky Road: Break a graham cracker into bite-size pieces. Add a low-fat chocolate pudding along with a few miniature marshmallows.
- Mini Pizza: Toast a whole wheat English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese. Spread mustard on a flour tortilla. Top with a slice of turkey or ham, low-fat cheese and lettuce. them roll it up.
- Sandwich Cut-Outs: Make a sandwich on whole grain bread. Cut out your child’s favorite shape using a big cookie cutter. Eat the fun shape and the edges, too!
- Banana Split: Top a banana with low-fat vanilla and Strawberry frozen yogurt.Sprinkle with your favorite whole-grain cereal.
- Apple Pie Oatmeal: Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with low-fat milk. Mix in 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon. Mix together peanut butter and cornflakes in a bowl. Shape into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers. fill a waffle cone with cut-up fruit and top with low-fat vanilla yogurt.